Neighborhood Advisory Panel Terms of Reference
The neighbourhood advisory panel is a formal engagement opportunity between The Star and the local community that will be guided by the following terms of reference.
- The purpose of the panel is to:
- act as a two-way communication link between The Star and the community;
- build ongoing relationships between The Star and the community;
- foster regular connection between The Star and the community;
- develop trust and confidence between The Star and the community; and
- provide the community with an opportunity to request and suggest areas of community support while also raising any concerns.
- Discuss issues relating to the Star and the local community.
- Provide information on The Star’s plans that may impact the local community.
- Identify areas of community support and make recommendations.
The advisory panel will have up to ten members in addition to the Chair.
The membership will reflect the diversity of the community and include representatives from the residents, community groups and businesses within the Pyrmont area. It will include:
- at least two local community groups;
- a resident from each sub-precinct (to be identified); and
- at least two local businesses.
While every attempt will be made to form a panel reflective of the community, it will ultimately depend on who responds to the expressions of interest.
Members will no longer be a member of the advisory panel if they:
- resign from the panel;
- fail to attend three consecutive meetings without providing an alternative representative; or
- are unable, for any reason, to fulfil the role of Neighbourhood Advisory Panel member.
TERM OF APPOINTMENT
Members will be appointed for three years. During that period, new members who fill vacant positions will be appointed for the remainder of the existing three year term only.
At the end of the three year term, to ensure the panel adequately reflects the community, all member positions will become vacant and subject to the recruitment process. Existing members are eligible to reapply for one further consecutive term however selection will remain based on the membership criteria.
Expressions of interest will be sought through a letterbox drop to relevant properties along with local community promotion for all vacant positions as well as extensive adverting in the local Pyrmont area. Any expression of interest will be open for one month before nominations close.
Selection to the panel will be based on membership criteria. The Chair will appoint panel members in consultation with two staff representatives from The Star before any new appointments.
The panel will meet on a quarterly basis. Meetings will be held on the first Tuesday of each quarter at The Star for one to two hours from 5.30pm, or at time to be agreed.
Members are expected to actively participate in the group and make best efforts to attend meetings. Each member must nominate an alternate person to be present at meetings they are unable to attend by
giving advance notice to the Chair.
AGENDA AND MINUTES
The Chair will finalise the Agenda after calling for agenda items from panel members.
The Agenda will be sent by email at least one week prior to each meeting by the Chair or Chair’s representative.
The Star will provide a note-taker for the meetings. Minutes including attachments will be sent by email to members after each meeting and when requested.
The General Manager External Affairs will act as Chair and convene the advisory panel.
- Any conflicts of interest should be declared by the members.
- The Chair can invite key representatives from the Star to present at meetings.
- Points for discussion at the meetings will be nominated by members of the panel at the preceding meeting or through the Chair.
- Members will be encouraged to share relevant information discussed at the meetings with their local community and to bring feedback to the meetings.
- No member shall make public statements claiming to represent the views of the advisory panel.
- The Star will consider all advice and feedback provided by the advisory panel.
- Members shall treat each other fairly with respect.